Monday 15 August 2011

PATRICIA CAIN - DRAWINGS ON RIVERSIDE

It's always interesting to see what's on at Kelvingrove Gallery, and I was not disappointed by the massive scale of Cain's visual 'diary' of the construction process for Glasgow's new Transport Museum. The story really begins with some delicate drawings of the demolition of tenement buildings (probably my favourite work), and proceeded to the huge, dramatic, skeletal work of Scotland's 'girders'.



Cain had some interesting use of materials. I was impressed with the use of 'metalic' gel pens on black papaer. this was taking the classroom to another level! She also had used some areas of tissue paper in her drawings which was very interesting. There were certainly some ideas that I would like to play with myself.

It was interesting to see the complex structures expressed against that dull featureless sky which so often is the trademark of Glasgow. It is an idea that I have been playing with myself lately - see pen and ink sketches of tree and hedges.( see the learning log 3 post)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home